2015 Girls State Basketball Tournament
For additional information about the game, purchasing tickets, transportation, pep assembly and state t-shirts, click here for a link to a media release from the Mason City Athletic Department about the plans for the game on Wednesday, March 4 at 1:30 p.m. at Wells Fargo Arena. The t-shirt order form is located in the district Virtual BackPack which can be accessed by clicking on the backpack icon in the upper right hand corner of the district's web pages or click on the link below.
PLANNED School Cancellation - Wednesday, March 4, 2015
Wednesday, March 4 at 1:30 p.m. the Mohawk Girls Basketball Team will be playing at the Iowa State Girls Basketball Tournaments. School is being cancelled on this day so staff, students and families who wish to attend may do so. We are sending this notification out now so that families can start making plans for next Wednesday.
The last time this same situation occurred school remained in session and we had several issues to deal with:
- Numerous staff needed for chaperoning and coaching
- Numerous staff requests to attend the tournament game and support our student athletes
- Not enough substitutes to fill staff absences
- Low attendance by students in both elementary and secondary buildings
- High school students wishing to support their classmates
- Elementary siblings, friends and families wishing to support the Mohawks
All in all, it ended up not being an educationally productive day for those students who remained in school that day.
The make-up schedule for today’s cancellation and Wednesday, March 4 will be added to the end of the school year. School will now be in session all day Friday, June 5, all day Monday, June 8 and the last day of school for students will be a half day of school on Tuesday, June 9. Tuesday, June 9 there will be no late start for professional development. Classes on this Tuesday will run as if it were a M-W-Th-F schedule.
Congratulations to the Mohawk Girls Basketball team for their hard work and dedication this season. We are very proud of your accomplishments. GO MOHAWKS!
New District-Wide Automated Phone Answering System
In an effort to more effectively respond to families and community, the Mason City Community School District will be implementing an automated phone answering system. Conversion to this system will begin on Friday, February 27 and is planned to be fully implemented by March 2, 2015. This system will assist callers to directly connect with the appropriate person and/or department to whom they wish to speak when dialing a building or district number. Callers will receive an automated greeting providing options that are available to reach within each building. If the party you are trying to reach is unavailable, there is the opportunity to leave a voice message. The voice message will also be automatically forwarded to the party via email. Please contact the office of Communications and Community Relations at 641-421-4401 if you have any questions. Thank you!
K-6 Conference Sign-Up Available
Parent-Teacher Conferences for K-6 students will be held:
Monday, March 30 from 4-7:30 p.m.
Thursday, April 2 from 1-7:30 p.m.
What to do once you have accessed the link: Locate the building your student attends and click the name of your student's teacher to view the available times for both conference dates. Please sign-up for one conference time per student. Families with more than one student will have to repeat the process to sign-up for conference times with the appropriate teacher.
Parents/Guardians without internet access, or those needing assistance, please call your student's school building directly.
There is Cause for "Dancin in the Streets"
- Early Dismissal for Students - Friday, March 6, 2015
- Kick-Off To Kindergarten Parent Meetings Scheduled
- JOIN THE WALKING SCHOOL BUS
- Education Funding FACT OF THE WEEK
- Now Available - February 2015 Issue of Each and Every Child Newsletter - A Department of Education Publication
- Early Literacy Focus for Iowa - Letter from Department of Education Director Brad Buck
- Public Notice - School In Need of Assistance Designation Notification
- New Website Feature - THE VIRTUAL BACKPACK
- Vocational Rehabilitation Services Available
- School Portrait Information